Thursday 20 June 2013

The Rumour Mill!


This is just a super quick post to mention a couple of things I've heard recently. Bear in mind these are just articles i've read, so the information may be partially inaccurate...that being said it's always nice to have hope!

I've heard a couple of things: one, that two dogs have effectively been cured of diabetes using gene therapy! Now this just sounds amazing! Although the diabetes was induced unnaturally in these dogs, the DNA injected into them, cured the diabetes! You can read the full article here:

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34394/title/Dogs-Cured-of-Type-1-Diabetes/

Now I know we're a little different from our canine friends, but it indicates that progress is being mad.

The other recent development has been that of the biohub: an essentially artificial organ, which acts of a house for artificial insulin producing cells, planted into the human. Sounds daunting, but again, seems to work!

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2013/03/newsflash-dri-creating-mini-biohub-organ-to-mimic-pancreas.html
These developments all seemed to come at once, which indicated to me great progress is being made towards a cure, and I have hope it might be in my lifetime.

But I'm still trying my best to live my life and manage the diabetes I do have now.

Rx

No comments:

Post a Comment