Thursday 23 August 2012

Excercise Motivation!

Following on from my last post, I thought I'd write my top ten motivational tips that helped me get back the gym the last time round! Nobody's perfect, but hopefully these will get you back on the right track!

1. Start slow:
So you're a little out of shape, maybe a little tired? Start slow: 30 minutes is the minimum recommended time for Diabetics to exercise per day, but start with 20 for the first week, and build it up to 30 and more. In the gym I like to do ten minutes on a treadmill, ten minutes on a bike, some rowing of cross trainer, and then maybe some leg and shoulder presses. Not for long, but just enough to start off with.

2.Treat yourself:
It sounds cliched, but allowing yourself a small treat after your first week of working out is a great motivator. Give yourself something to work for. Even, treat yourself to something small (not food, unless hypo!) after your first workout. It'll remind you to go again!
Also, invest in some nice workout clothes: you want to feel good working out too.

3. Look at the benefits:
Not even counting diabetes, exercise for anybody can relieve stress, cut your risk of heart disease and heart attack, and generally keep you in shape.
Now, for a DIABETIC, the benefits are incredible: increased insulin absorption, leading to potential decrease in amount, and thus weight loss, help preventing complications later in life, and lengthening life span.

4. Think how great you'll look! This one is self explanatory.

5. Put on LOUD music. Sometimes the gym's a little boring...I find it helps to drown things out and pass the time if I can't hear much else except my music!

No comments:

Post a Comment